Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Books That Stand the Test of Time?



When I was in school, I remember reading The Boxcar Children as one of my first chapter books.


I remember the suspense of what would happen to these kids ... alone in the woods... living in a boxcar ...
I didn't get into the series, but I remember this book as one I truly enjoyed. 

So, now as a teacher, I was looking for some chapter books for my guided reading group - level M/N - and I saw this book in our book room! I just couldn't pass it up :) I started rereading it and creating a guided reading packet for my students. I was pulling out character trait stuff, cause & effect, sequencing, predicting, mood and inferencing. I am not finished with my packet, but I was pausing to ponder - Will this book be as enjoyable for my students? Is it timeless? Will they relate to it and be as engaged in the characters as I was?

Here is a sneak peek at the packet . . . 

 

What was one of your first chapter books? 
Have you used it with your students? Did it stand the test of time? 

No comments:

Post a Comment